Monday, July 28, 2014

What's Co-Teaching?!


Thursday last week I had a meeting on campus with my "cooperating teacher" (the teacher I will be working with in the fall, from here on out referred to as my "CT") about co-teaching.

Though the meeting was filled with beneficial information about all of the co-teaching models that I was not familiar with, the best part was spending a few hours talking with my CT about what to expect in her classroom.

First of all, I am THRILLED to be paired with her.  She came to me highly recommended from a family friend, and after our first few hours together, I know we will get along great!  We have so much in common. We both love being active, spending time outdoors, cooking, and so on. She seems like a passionate teacher, with high expectations for her students.  My favorite part, she's super easy going and has a go with the flow personality.  One of her comments to our table mates during our meeting was that she is going to help me learn to not stress out.  "Everything will get done. it always does" is what she said.  I love that she immediately took me under her wing.


SO, that big "fear" is now gone…I don't need to worry about her as a mentor.  I trust that she will be an amazing example for me, and I will go into my first year as a teacher with more confidence because of her.

What's Co-teaching?
This part is for my non-teacher friends and family, who want to know more about what I'm up to!

Co-teaching has many models as I learned.  The key in all models is that both teachers (the CT and student teacher) are working together in the classroom to ensure a successful learning environment, as well as classroom management.

Here are the different co-teaching models:

One teach/One observe: While one person is doing the main instruction, the other is doing intentional observations in the classroom.  This may be to gain information on student behavior, comprehension, or even to observe the main teacher and their instruction.

One teach/One assist:  While one person is doing the main instruction, the other is assisting students with their work, behavior, or other jobs around the classroom.

Station teaching:  The teachers divide instruction and content between each other.  The students rotate from teacher to teacher to get more focused instruction in smaller groups.

Parallel teaching: The class is divided in half, each teacher takes a group and instructs on the same content.  This is beneficial because it makes for a smaller student to teacher ratio!

Supplemental teaching: One teacher works with students at grade level, while the other teacher works with students who need material re-taught or more time on a topic.

Alternative (differentiated) teaching: This style provides two different approaches to teaching the same material.  Learning outcomes are the same, process of getting there is different.

Team teaching:  This is when both teachers are teaching the whole group as a team.  There should be a flow of instruction with not one teacher leading the lesson.



My CT and I talked about the models she thinks will be used most in her class.  She feels that all of the models are beneficial and will likely be explored in her classroom, though centers/stations are not her favorite approach.

I'm relieved that we have options, and that the whole 16 weeks don't need to be under the "team teaching" model.  That takes a lot of preparation time and doesn't necessarily benefit the students more than any of the other models.

Next week I'll be in the classroom for a couple days of preparation and then the first day of school will be on August 11th!

Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS