Friday, August 15, 2014

SF VISIT & FANELLI WEDDING!


This past weekend Nick and I spent a few days in one of my favorite cities, San Francisco. Followed by an incredibly beautiful family wedding, and then jet setting back home just in time for my first day of school as a student teacher.

I've been to some incredible cities through out the years, New York, Chicago, Denver (home), Florence, Rome, Venice, Madrid, Paris… but for some reason, San Francisco has to be my very favorite to visit (so far!).  If you've been there, you'll agree that it is unique in so many ways.  The rolling hills and amazing views of the bay, the delicious sea food, the iconic sites, and the diversity of people.  In one word, I love SF because it is COLORFUL.

I've been coming to this beautiful city my whole life.  I lived in San Jose, CA for my first 7 years and after moving to CO, continued to visit family and friends throughout the state and have always found a way to get back to the city.  My grandparents own a share of a suite on Nob Hill.  Nick and I had the opportunity (thanks to my aunt and uncle this time) to stay in it again.  Nostalgia is a funny thing, I feel it a lot.  I got those old feelings when we walked back into the suite.  Many visits with my Pop & Nana and cousins,  with my parents, and other extended family.  It's almost a sense of home in this unique boutique suite.  What makes it even more special, is now I get to share these treasured places and piece of my history with Nick!
Home away from home


In the last few years, San Francisco has become something new to me.  Nick and I took a whirl wind trip through CA a few months into our relationship, in 2010.  I was able experience a lot of Nick's firsts with him.  Like his first visit to the ocean, his first visit to CA, etc…  Now, when we go to SF together, it brings back a lot of those special moments and memories in our relationship!  It's probably the place where we fell in love (though I was pretty darn smitten from day 1!!).

This trip was so quick, so we didn't plan much and just took each day as it came.  Day one, when we arrived, after hunting down our cable car pass, we enjoyed happy hour at a fun little bar called Sam's Cable Car Lounge.  It's right off of Powell street and the interior is decorated with all things San Francisco.  Check it out! Sam's Cable Car Lounge
Nick enjoying his drink at Sam's

After our drinks we hopped on a cable car and headed to the Piers.  I will say that as a local, the cable cars are absolutely not the way to go (not that I'm a local or anything haha!). But, as a tourist…you must ride at least once for the experience.  It's such a unique way to get around, and feels a bit like a roller coaster at times.  I love it because you get to see so many neighborhoods that you may miss if you were traveling by foot or car!
Blowing down hills on the cable car

As we were walking towards Pier 39 I noticed a small wine bar and decided we should do some tasting.  Unfortunately the name escapes me, but it was not ON Pier 39, and it was attached to a hotel!  They carry California boutique wines.  From $15-$30 you can sample 4 wines based on the winery, or type of wine.  It was an enjoyable tasting for me, Nick…may have just been along for the ride :-)
Wine tasting (in case the wine didn't give that away)

What else did we see/do during day one...
Some fresh seafood
The sea lions, they're so loyal hanging around year after year!


On day two we talked to Urban Spoon, it told us Dottie's was a great spot for breakfast…it was right!  We walked down to 28th street between Market and Mission and stood in an alley (yep, a stinky, sketchy alley) for about 45minutes.  Let me tell ya…that was some INCREDIBLE people watching.  I was a little nervous of how the restaurant would be, based on the location, but we were pleasantly surprised!  The interior was cozy and entertaining with old black and white movie stars on the wall.  The servers were great, and the food was worth the wait!  I had the black bean cakes and eggs.  It came with chili corn bread and home fries.  Are you drooling yet, because I am…again.  All I can say is, it's worth the wait and the sketchy alley, give it a shot if you're in the area!

I think I was too antsy to eat to spend time on a clear photo!

Another interesting meal experience was in China Town!

We didn't eat anything spectacular or out of the ordinary, just chicken & veggie chow mien and fried rice followed by green tea ice-cream.  What made this place so special was the location.  They have seating out a small deck, or maybe what used to be an escape route, but it gives an interesting perspective on the area.  With Chinese characters, clothes hang drying out the windows, and the hustle and bustle of the locals, you really have to think twice about what country you're in!

Our view from the restaurant

Cheeeese in China Town

Later that evening we went back down to the wharf.  We stumbled upon a GREAT deal… a tour/fishing boat was going out for it's last tour of the bay for sunset.  It was only $10/person to hop on. They took us around Alcatraz and back--only 30 minutes long but worth the gorgeous sunset behind the Golden Gate Bridge!  Not sure if this is a regular thing, but it wouldn't hurt to walk along those fishing/tour boats at the end of the day to see if they're doing last call deals.  









Overall it was another memorable San Francisco visit.  We will continue to go back in the years to come and revisit the places that have made impressions in our memories and relationship! Here are a few more fun pictures I thought I'd share:





FANELLI WEDDING TIME!

Last but not least (definitely not least, it was there reason for our CA excursion in the first place!!), my cousin Ryan and his new wife Mallory's wedding!!

The two were married at a property in the hills of San Jose.  The weather was perfect and the scenery was gorgeous!  Mallory looked stunning and though I don't know her well, I know that she is definitely an amazing girl and we're all so happy to have her in our family!  Ryan was also very handsome, and as it should be, the best part was the moment he watched her walk down the isle.  The speeches were heartfelt and well spoken, the food was delicious, and the DJ had everyone up and moving!  Well done at planning such a fun celebration of your love you two!!

The added bonus was the un-official family reunion.  We got to reconnect with so many family members that we haven't seen in awhile.  It was a joy to introduce Nick to MORE of our mixed up, diverse, confusing family ;-) 

I didn't get too many good photos of the bride and groom but here are some of my favorites!
Blinded by the light

Handsome mom & dad

Here comes the bride!

Mr. & Mrs. Fanelli!

Nora & I
Check out that view!

AH!! Melt my heart!!!
Mr. & Mrs.
Family
Cousins! Groom Ryan, myself, Anna, Rachel, Elisia, Matthew and my brother Dominic
Cousin Rachel & I
Dancing with dad!

My Love.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS