Wednesday, October 29, 2014

11 Weeks Down 7 To Go!

…and halfway through the 12th week!

Another 3 weeks came and went in a blink of an eye.  A lot has happened in those three weeks between student teaching and personal life.  

The biggest accomplishment I completed with my second grade team were our conferences.  It was the school's first year doing student led conferences.  There was a lot of push back from families, they were worried they would not get any one on one time with the teachers to discuss their child's progress.

We began preparing for conferences the week before fall break, and the week after is when we began coaching the kids.  They filled out several goal sheets for math, reading and writing, and charted their progress on bar graphs.  We helped them compile a file folder of their work and they rehearsed it several times.  It was pretty cool to see how positive this process was.  Students were proud to share their work with their peers when they practiced, and really took ownership of everything they have accomplished this far in the year.

The moment of truth was conference day when they came in with their parents, and led the whole conference. My CT and I stood back, and only jumped in to answer questions or point out something the student may have forgotten.  Parents were happily surprised at how the conferences turned out.  They were proud to see their children take the lead roll and acknowledge their own work.  They seemed especially impressed with the students personal evaluations of themselves.  They had to choose which behavioral areas they were good at and which they needed to focus on.  EVERY student made an honest evaluation of themselves, and some of their parents were blown away that they were able to honestly reflect on their behavior and performance in the classroom!

Overall, student led conferences seemed to be a success.  I am glad I was able to be apart of this type of conference, I now have experience in traditional conferences and student led…all experience is beneficial for my future as a teacher!

We had a week of fall break a couple weeks ago!  I forgot how necessary the scheduled breaks are. They always seem to come at JUST the right moment.  I was beginning to feel excessively overwhelmed, and the break was just what I needed (and I know the rest of the school needed the break as well).  I was able to spend time with my family and boyfriend, hang out with my cousin who came to town, and love on my parent's new puppy.  On top of that, I caught up on a lot of TWS work, and my Capstone!  But of course, I will feel like my head is just above water until I graduate and ALL of my assignments are submitted!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to attend a job fair at UNC.  I hadn't been back to Greeley since I graduated in December of 2009, wow did 5 years go by in a flash!  I met with a few counties and schools, and overall had a VERY successful visit.  What I'm most excited about is the connection I made with a local charter school's principal.  We talked casually for a bit about my background and what her charter school was about.  As we progressed, it hit me who she was…my 6th grade teacher from way back when!!  Small world, isn't it?!  Before we realized our connection, she seemed very impressed with my SLP & Aud. background and wanted me to come back a little later for a more in depth conversation.  When I went back, she told me about a paraprofessional position opening in January, which could potentially lead to a 2nd grade teaching position in the fall!  She wants me to come into the school for a tour and interview with the rest of her team.  I can't explain how EXCITING this is!  It could be a perfect situation, to have time in the school getting to know its community and culture before (1) deciding if I want to take a full time teaching position there, and (2) taking on a classroom for my first time.  It would make the transition into my first year teaching a lot more graceful already knowing the school and the people!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, saying my prayers, and telling the universe what I want…I hope it all pans out, and I can finish student teaching and jump right back into a school!

Halloween is Friday (in case you weren't aware, haha!).  I can't wait to share our teams Halloween costume with everyone.  It sure is cute, and the kids are going to LOVE it!!

Just a few more weeks left and so much to do…back to work I go…!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS