Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Childhood Cancer Awareness Month


Did you know September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month?  
I didn't but I'm glad I found out so I could share with all of you and hopefully join in the fight against childhood cancer.

Cancer sucks no matter what stage of life a person is in, but to me, it sucks even more for a child.  It raises the question, how on earth could someone so innocent, so "pure," and too young to comprehend what challenge their body is facing, be faced with such a battle.  It makes no sense and it's heart breaking.  For some, it may be a quick battle, and for others it may last years.

A few years ago I crossed paths with a sweet and spunky little girl named Haven.  Just as I was getting to know her at the preschool I was working at, she went in for a doctors appointment, and the outcome was not good:

Kicking cancer's a$$!!! Go Haven!

"Haven is a 4 year old little girl who has been diagnosed with Stage IV neuroblastoma in the adrenal gland that has metastisized to her spinal cord and her chest.  She was diagnosed April 2012, 2 weeks after her 2nd birthday.  She has endured 27 rounds of chemo, MIBG therapy, an auto stem cell transplant, 20 rounds of standard radiation, 2 rounds of antibodies, TMA in her kidneys, 3 round of intensive high dose radiation, and now will be starting the fenretinide trial." 

Just reading what this girl has been through makes my heart SO heavy for Haven and her family.  But at the same time, I can't help but to think that this little lady is a warrior (and a hero to so many) who has been fighting like a champ for over 2 years now.  That part is amazing.  We should learn a lesson from such little lives.  She has taken on a challenge that most of us will never see in our life time, and while I'm sure there have been many moments Haven and her family have felt defeated, they all keep on fighting this nasty disease in hopes to give it the big middle finger!
Haven & her biggest fans!

Um, I'm pretty sure she's the cutest thing EVER!!!

Haven recently, look at this super hero!

I could ramble on about how much childhood cancer SUCKS (because it does), but in the end I have NO CLUE how much it really sucks, because I'm not dealing with it first hand.  I'd just like to help spread awareness and support to the families who are going through this daily battle for their child's life, health and well-being.  


To learn more about Haven and her battle, & to donate visit:
or

To read more about childhood cancer, and donate visit:

Also, if you haven't already, register yourself on Be The Match
You could be the match to someone in need of a life saving transplant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS